How to add an account when part of a diocese
- If you belong to a diocese and want to add or edit an account, you may or may not be able to do so based on the permissions your diocese has set up as well as which accounts your diocese has provided. Note: if you run PSA Accounting independently of your diocese or if you are not under a diocese, please see the following article instead: How to add an account when you are a stand-alone organization.
- A quick way to find out if you have the permission to add or edit an account is to try it. Go into Ledger & Payables → Accounts.
- The example below is a typical setup for a diocese. The diocese typically creates a chart of accounts and expects their parishes to use the standard chart of accounts they provide. They often will allow the parish to add sub-accounts.
How to find which accounts are available to add and then add them
To find if your account is available and then add the account, select the Chart of Accounts (Add Sub-Accounts) link.
Typically, the diocese has so many accounts it would be too cumbersome to wade through all of them. You must filter the accounts by type and/or entity to narrow down the options.
- Note: as you add the Account Type, other pertinent fields display that offer additional filter options. In the example below, the user wanted to add a checking account to their chart. They selected "Asset" and fields for Department and Account displayed. After selecting the account codes you know, click Search.
After clicking Search, the options that meet the criteria are displayed. In this case, it is a Checking Account for Entity 1.
- To add this account to your parish chart of accounts, mark the box to the left of the account number as shown in the image above. Then, at the bottom of the screen, click Submit. Depending on your permissions, you may be able to update the Shortcut of this new account.
Note: After adding this account, if you have another checking account you would like to add, you may go through the same process as shown above, but this time, you would click the Add Sub-Account link (shown in the above image just below the account number) if it is available to you. This will take you to a screen that allows you to enter a description, shortcut, and sub-account number.
- Once you submit you may not be able to edit the description or shortcut.
- Take care to ensure your Shortcut number matches the format of your other accounts. It should be short but descriptive enough to find the account easily. Example: You might be using the account code and sub-account with some additional letters for your shortcut. 110.01CH Follow the format set up by your diocese.
- Also, your description should be short but clear. For example, a general description, 'Checking Account' may be too generic, you want to be able to easily distinguish each account. You might want to include the bank name and checking or savings. (Chase Checking, Chase Savings, Chase Checking 002, Chase Operating...)
Note: If you are unable to find the account, you will need to contact the diocese to determine the correct account to use or to have the account added to the chart of accounts.