How to record a hand-written check, EFT, or an already paid transaction (assign check number) for a single bill
Note: If you are paying more than one bill you will need to go through the check printing process where you select multiple bills to pay and create the check pdf (no need to print it). During this process, you may change the check number to the hand-assigned check number. You will not use these instructions.
Nutshell instructions with detailed instructions below
- Pull up the bill
- Click Assign Check Number
- Enter the check number that matches the one on the hand-written check.
- EFT transactions use EFT### where ### is the EFT transaction number.
- Voided or deleted check where check still exists, use ####a where #### is the original check number and 'a' allows you to re-use the original check number by changing it slightly.
- Click Save.
- Click Submit to submit the bill with the check number assigned.
- Pull up the bill.
- Click Assign Check Number button in the Bill.
Used under the following conditions:
- hand-written check: You filled out the check by hand and now need to record it in PSA
- deleted check: You created the check and printed it. Then, you deleted the check so you could change the line item in the bill (the expense). The Vendor, date, amount, and comment haven't changed.
- voided check: You created the check and printed it. Then, you accidentally voided it. The Vendor, date, amount, and comment haven't changed.
- EFT transaction: You paid for a service or an item through an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and do not need to print a check.
- Enter the check number
- When assigning the check number, you cannot use special characters such as (' apostrophe) as the check will not save.
- For EFTs use the letters EFT as a prefix to the check number appended to the EFT Transaction number
- Always use letters such as "EFT" before any Electronic Fund Transfers to avoid throwing your check numbers out of sequence.
- If you forgot to add EFT to your check and need to change it you may be able to use Change Check Numbers if you have permission for that process. See: How to change the check number.
- For voided or deleted checks, re-use the same check number but add an alpha character to the end. For example, the number shown in this screenshot would be 1051a.
- Click Save.
- After clicking Save, you must submit the Bill.
- If you go back into the bill, you will see the assigned check number.
How to record a hand-written check which was written with an error
How to change the check number after printing the check
Please sign in to leave a comment.