How do I Archive an Account with a Pay Item attached to it?
When you want to archive an expense account which is no longer used in Payroll Processing, you may get the following message:
Here are the steps to resolve this issue:
1. Click on the Payroll Tab, and select Setup.
2. Choose Pay Item (third item down)
3. In Quick Find, pull up the Description of the Pay Item listed in the error message, then click Find Item. In this example, the description is Custodian Wages.
4. Click the down-arrow to the right of the Default Gross Pay Account, and scroll to the very top where the account is blank. Then, click Submit.
5. Once the Pay Item has a null Default Gross Pay Account, you may go into Accounts, bring up the Account in Quick Find, then Archive the Account.