The general ledger payables account does not agree with A/P Aging report
This article only applies to accrual basis customers
There are two reports used to reconcile A/P:
- The Account Balance Report (Reports → Accounts → Account Balance Report)
- The A/P Aging Report (Reports → Transactions → A/P Aging Detail by Period)
The two reports should agree!
Troubleshooting tips if they do not agree
What is the difference? When did the problem start? It's easier to search for the problem if you can narrow down when the difference was created.
- Use a spreadsheet.
- Run the two reports as of the beginning of the year to see if the problem is in prior years.
- If it is in a prior year, work backward, running each for each prior year.
- If the problem developed in the current year, run the reports by the quarter and then by each month and finally by individual transaction to narrow down the time frame.
- If there are journal entries in the General Ledger AP account which are NOT recorded in Bills, the two reports will be out of balance. This could only happen when a journal entry was created using the AP account, not through the bills option.