Logos People aids a church in managing the process of welcoming, tracking, and communicating to people who are new to your church. Logos is a powerful asset in efforts to avoid having such people “fall through the cracks” and drift away without truly engaging the ministries your church provides.
1. Identify Visitors/Guests
Churches use a variety of methods to identify new people (registration cards, pew pads, welcome centers, etc.). Often, the first record of a person’s attendance is a check in the collection plate. The key factor is to balance a friendly, non-threatening welcome with diligence in seeking to identify guests. Most people do not want to be ignored, but neither do they want to be the focus of an aggressive onslaught.While some churches do not want to enter data on people until they determine that the new person will continue to attend, we recommend adding new records to Logos II immediately so that the program can be used to aid in your cultivation efforts.
2. Create a People Record
Logos makes it easy to create a record for any member of a family, whether adult or child, regardless of how much information you know about the person or whether or not you know anything about remaining family members. You can add a new record from anywhere in the program. Thus, whenever you discover a name that has not been added, you do not have to close the window where you are working. Just add the new name(s) and then continue with whatever task you were doing at the time.
- From the Search Grid of any of the main data entry routines, select the New Family or Add to Family icon on the command bar. In the window that opens, enter the individual name(s), indicating the family role (Head —either married or single adult, Spouse, or Child).
- The Date 1st Attend (Date Registered) field is automatically filled in, defaulting to the Sunday of the current week. This date prints on the Assignment Sheet/Card reports and can be used for locating records for any reports.
- In the Source field, enter a note about this person’s initial visit if the information is known (“Invited by Bill Smith,” “Children attended VBS,” etc.). This information prints on the Assignment Sheet/Card reports and can be used in locating records for any reports.
- Enter as much information on the person as you have been given. Names are the only fields required in order to create a record. Additional information can be added as it becomes available.
- In the Rel. to Church (Status) field, enter “V” for Visitor.
By marking new persons as Visitors, you can easily select them when you run reports. You can even select visitors based on the number of times attended and/or specific dates when they attended. Plus, Logos automatically calculates Visitor attendance separately from everyone else. Then, periodically use the Flag Visitors option to automatically mark all visitor records with Date 1st Attend (Date Registered) prior to a date that you select. You can then unflag and change the status from Visitor (e.g., G=Guest, NM=Non Member, I=Inquirer, etc.) for those you are continuing to cultivate. Those you determine to stop cultivating may be deleted quickly using Delete Flagged Records (People > Utilities > Other Utilities).
Enroll Visitors in Attendance
If you track actual attendance of people, Logos gives you these ways to enroll new visitors each week. (Attendance groups are created in the Define Groups routine.)
- Enroll at Check-In – The Check-In routine gives the option to allow adding and enrolling people at your Welcome/Guest terminal(s). You can assign a person to a group at the same time you enter his or her basic information.
- Enroll Individually— In Update Attendance, select a group. On the screen that displays the list of all those enrolled, enter P in the Default Code field. Then select the Add New Person button to use the Search Grid to locate or add visitors. The people just enrolled will appear in the list and are marked as present for the current week.
- Quick Update Enrollment — This Attendance utility has an Attendance Enroll/ Remove/Move option. Select Next, then on the Search Criteria screen, select the People tab and make the following selections:
- Field: Rel. to Church (Status) 2. Operator: Is Equal Exactly To 3. Value: V = Visitor Select Add or press the Tab key. Then make these selections: 1. Field: Date 1st Attend (Date Registered)
- Operator: Is After
- Value: (Earliest date to include) Select Done or press Enter. Your query should look like this:
Select Next to see the list of those selected. Then select Next again to select the group into which they are to be added and to set the date when this is to be effective. Then select Next and Finish. Use Update Attendance or Check-In to then mark their attendance for the current week.
- Contact Visitors
Logos helps with making timely visitor contacts, since any report in the system can easily locate any visitors, even selecting those who have attended a specified number of times or within a date range.
- E-mail — You can e-mail directly to an individual from the Personal (Member) tab within Manage People. Or send the same e-mail to a group of visitors using the E-mail routine. Or use the Export People Data routine’s Export E-mail addresses option to send the messages using your own e-mail system (e.g., Outlook, etc.).
- Labels/Envelopes — The Labels routine on the Attendance Reports panel has a Visitor Labels option that lets you enter a Date or Date range and easily print envelopes or labels for all visitors who were present in that period. The Absentee Labels option in the same routine lets you print envelopes or labels for those who have been absent a stated number of times in a date range. You can use Search Criteria to limit the absentee selection to Visitors.
- Personalized Letters — The Export People Data routine quickly builds a data file of all visitors, either based on Date 1st Attend (Date Registered) or visitors selected by actual attendance or absences over a date range. This data file can then easily be merged into a letter that you have created in your word processor. The same letter can be used repeatedly with new data files. Logos II’s User Reports add-on also provides Quick Merge. When an individual’s record is open, selecting this button allows merging that person’s name and address information into a personalized letter that can be printed immediately.
- Telephone — Logos II’s Search Grids make it easy to quickly locate visitors for a phone contact. You can use the Select Fields button to add desired data fields (Rel. to Church, Date 1st Attend, Grade, etc.), then click in the desired column to sequence the entire list in order by data in that field. (Date fields can display on the Search Grid to provide quick information, but they cannot be used to sequence the list.) You can then quickly move through the list, seeing those you want to call. Then open a visitor’s record and click the Dial button to auto-dial that phone number.
In addition, the Export People Data routines can create a file for use by automated telephoning systems. You can record a brief greeting to thank people for visiting, an invitation to an event, or an explanation of how they can learn more about your church. Many visitors appreciate this type of contact that does not put them on the spot to answer questions or engage in conversation. Contact Logos for information about PhoneTree systems.
- Visitation/Follow-Up — The Contact Reports routine provides useful tools for identifying people to contact and managing the contact process. These reports all use Search Criteria to select the desired people (new visitors, visitors who have been absent this month, etc.) to be contacted. Among the options:
- Assignment Sheet — This report (with an option to list each individual or to group family members into combined listings) provides an administrator with a useful summary of the people being assigned to be contacted.
- Assignment Cards —Prints 3x5” index cards to give out to those making the contacts.
- Contacts to Make — Includes information from the Date Next Contact and Comment fields (Contacts/Visitation tab) in the personal profiles.
Record Contact Information
Logos II’s Create/Update Family/Individual routine contains two tabs that are useful for recording contact information on visitors.
- Contacts (Visitation) Tab —
- Date Next Contact/Comment — These fields note someone that you want to remember to contact in the near future — and the reason to make the contact.
Contact Grids — Select the Add button to record a quick summary of a contact that has been made. This information will print on selected Contact Reports options (Assignment Sheet, Assignment Cards and Contacts to Make).
- Comments Tab — You can enter unlimited narrative information about a person, his or her family, interests, etc. Use this tab for the type of data that cannot be accommodated by the many data fields on other tabs.
Some of the other widely-used reports for monitoring Visitor involvement include:
- Selected Individual List — A 1-, 2-, or 3-line phone/address list.
- Master List — A 3-line report summarizing basic information on selected people.
- Use the following criteria to get a list of first time visitors within a time span.
- Donor Lists – A check on whether new folks have contributed yet.
- Individual Attendance/ Absentee Lists — These reports let you see patterns of attendance and/or absences for selected people, plus an option that quickly prints a list of all new enrollees within a date range that you define.