Reassigning Envelope Numbers at Year End
Sometimes a church needs to reassign all envelope numbers before the end of the year and run Export Envelope Numbers to send to an Envelope printing company (or print their own labels). However, the old envelope numbers need to continue being used until the end of year.
Logos II provides two methods by which this can be done.
Quick Update > Reassign Envelope Numbers
This method is the quickest, but it depends on being able to run this routine twice with exactly the same results. Thus, it requires that no changes be made in the data used for the criteria until after the procedure is completed. Thus, these instructions use only Envelope Numbers and ID Numbers and require that no new envelope numbers are assigned and none are deleted, plus no ID Numbers are updated.
If any new envelope numbers are needed, they can be entered in Create New Envelopes (not in
Create/Update Family/Individual), but do not post them until after Step #6 is finished.
1. Do a Backup of your data (System menu).
VERY IMPORTANT: Until Step #5 is completed, no one should update anything in Logos II.
2. Using Quick Update > Reassign Envelope Numbers, enter Search Criteria for those persons whose Envelope Numbers are to be reassigned (Family: Envelope Number is Greater Than or Equal to 1). For later verification, make a note of the number of records selected.
3. On the Reassign Envelope Numbers screen, select the option to Reassign In order by ID Number and mark the Clear all Envelope Numbers check box. Select Next and then Finish.
4. Print whatever reports you need with the new envelope numbers on them: Mailing Labels, Export Envelope Numbers, etc. For later verification, print the Donor Master List, using the same Search Criteria as in Step #2 above, and Sort the report in order by Envelope Number.
5. After getting all the reports needed, Restore the backup (System menu).
This puts the old envelope numbers back in the member records.
6. In January, re-run Quick Update > Reassign Envelope Numbers with exactly the same entries as in Steps 2 and 3 above. As long as no envelope numbers have been added or deleted and no ID numbers have been changed, the same new envelope numbers will be assigned to the same member records as before. Re-run the Donor Master List as in Step 4 to verify that the system assigned the same numbers as before.
Create New Envelopes
This method is more time-consuming, but allows changes to be made to member records prior to posting the new numbers in January.
1. Using Create New Envelopes, enter the new envelope numbers. You can print a list of these envelopes using the Printer icon on the toolbar.
2. Do a Backup (System menu).
3. Post the envelopes.
4. Print whatever reports you need with the new envelope numbers on them: Labels, Export Envelope
VERY IMPORTANT: During this period of time, no one should update anything in Logos II.
5. After getting all the reports needed, Restore the backup (System menu).This puts the old envelope numbers back in the member records.
6. In January, run the Post New Envelopes routine to update member records.