Year 1 — Getting Started
Prior to your first year of using Logos II Attendance and Event Registration for VBS, follow these steps to setup your data records.
1. Create Attendance Groups—In the Attendance module, go to Manage Groups. Depending on the number of classes you offer, you can define up to four “levels” —
• Level1—The largest grouping: “VBS” —allows you to make a single selection to print reports, rosters, labels for all “lower level” groups
• Level2—Any sub-grouping of classes (e.g., Age Groups, Grades etc.) in a large program or the actual classes themselves in a small program
• Level3 —(Optional) Sub-groupings within a Level2. In small or medium-sized programs, these are usually the actual classes. In a large program with multiple classes per grade, these may be grade levels.
• Level4—(Optional) Sub-groupings within a Level3. For any groups where this level is needed, these are the actual classes.
For each group you create —
• Enter a “Description” or accept the lowest Level name as the default. (Some churches add the Room Number or Name and/or Teacher Name to the Description.) The Description field can be modified at any time without impacting any structural definitions.
• In the Day of Week field, for most VBS groups, select “Daily” (more than once a week). After creating all your groups, select the Define Dates button to mark the dates when VBS will meet. You will be given the option to apply those dates to all your VBS groups.
• Program/Start/End —Optional entries —See Help for details.
• Enrollment Tab —Define Maximum Enrollments for groups if you need to limit the number of students that can be registered per class in Event Registration.
• Other Tabs —Optional entries, such as defining Name Tags on the Dymo Label tab if you will be using the Attendance Check In routine to record attendance as students arrive — See Help for details.
• Enroll Teachers/Aides/Etc. —Two options —
1 If you want teachers to appear on class rosters, go to Update Attendance, open each class record, click the Add New Person button and select the teacher(s)/aide(s) for that class from the list of names. Mark the Teacher check box. You can also enter a letter in the Position column to define the role DO NOT USE this routine to enroll students. They will be registered through the Event Registration module’s Register People routine.
2 If you do not want teachers to appear on class rosters, create one or more separate
“Teacher” groups and then enroll all the teachers there, as explained above.
2. Create an Event—In the Event Registration module, go to Manage Events. Select the
Define New Event button to create a new event (“VBS 2011” with a Start Date and End Date
that covers your VBS. Set the Enrollment Maximum, if any, for the total program.
3. Select the Link to Attendance button to open the Link Attendance Group to Event
Registration window. Select the Level1 VBS group that you created. Click OK. When back in
the Define Events window, select the Save icon on the command bar.
4. Define the Fees for this event. (Fee data uses the Funds defined in the Contributions
module. You may need to check with the person in your office who manages that module to
ensure that the correct fund or funds have been defined.) This routine defaults to showing only
Non Deductible funds. If any portion of fee payments is considered to be a contribution, mark
the Show All Funds check box to expand the Fund field to allow selecting from the complete
list of active funds. Make sure to press Tab for each new fee until it appears in the lower grid.
You can define one fee or set of fees for the entire event, or mark the Plus sign in front of the
Attendance Group to select a group for which you want to define a fee that only applies to
students in that group. You can also define different per-student fees for different numbers of
students in a family. For example, you can define a “standard” tuition fee, and then define one
or more “discount” fees for which you mark the Optional check box:
VBS Tuition $20.00
2nd Child Discount $-5.00 Optional
3rd Child Discount $-10.00 Optional
4t or More Children Discount $-12.00 Optional
When you register students, the “standard” fee(s) will appear automatically. You can then click
the Add Optional Fee button when you want to add a “discount” fee. (If the majority of your
students qualify for a discount fee, you might prefer to not mark these fees as Optional. Then,
when registering students, all the fees will appear and you unmark the ones that do not apply
to a particular student. Or, you can go to Preferences > Event Registration and mark a
check box to set all fees to be unmarked when adding a new person.)
Select the Done button when you have completed adding all fees into the grid.
5. Print your event information to verify that it is complete. Select the Print icon on the
command bar and then set the date range to match your new event. Check that the Waiting
List and Optional check boxes are correctly marked or unmarked.
At any time you can return to the Manage Groups routine to add new VBS Level2/Level3/Level4
Attendance groups and they will be automatically linked to your VBS event and fees.
You are now ready to begin registering students. Logos provides two ways of registering
students: Register People on the Event Registration Data Entry panel (Steps 6 and 7 below)
and Register Individuals (Batch) in Event Registration Utilities > Quick Update (Step 8). Since
registrations are often received before you know for certain the specific class to which you will
assign a student, you may initially register students into one or more “holding” groups and then at a
later date, move some of them into the actual classes they will attend. For example, if you expect to
have three or four 1st Grade classes, you could initially register all first graders into one 1st Grade
group. Then, when your registrations are nearly complete, decide which students to move to the
other groups. See Step 10 on the next page for tips on adjusting your enrollment.
6. Open Register People (Event Registration Data Entry panel) to enroll individual students in
the Attendance groups that have been linked to the VBS event. You also identify and apply the
fee(s) for each student and then record any payments.
The Event Registration Summary tab lists all those registered for the event. Click on the
Event Description or the Plus sign in front of a folder to select a specific group. (The
Registered for Event list shows the students registered for the event or selected group.)
7. Select the Register Individuals tab to select the Event, Group and then the Individual to
register, assigning fees, and entering payments and/or adjustments.
If registering students in random order for various classes, mark the Return to Select Group
check box at the bottom of the form so that after registering each student, the cursor will return
to Step 2: Enroll in Group field, allowing you to select a different group for the next student.
Otherwise the cursor returns to the Step 3: Enroll Individual> Search field.
After selecting a student in the Step 3: Search field, you have the choice of two keystrokes:
Tab: Displays the “standard” fee(s) in the grid, so you can remove or edit any for this
student. Then click Register to apply the fee(s) and return to select the next student.
Enter: Applies all “standard” fee(s) and returns to select the next student. (If Preferences
> Event Registration is defined to set all fees as unmarked when adding a new person,
pressing Enter will register the person, but no fees will appear in the grid. To apply fees
with this setting, always use the Tab key here.)
Once a student is registered, you may click the buttons below the Event Fees grid: Add
Optional Fee, Apply Payment, Apply Fee Adjustment, See Event Info or Member
Info. If you have defined Optional “discount” fees, when they display, use the Uncheck All
button to clear the Apply check boxes, then mark the one that applies to this student.
8. Register Individuals (Batch) – This option in Quick Update (Event Registration > Utilities)
allows you to quickly register multiple students to the same class who all have the same fee(s).
You use the standard Search Grid to select the individuals you are registering. The next
screen shows those who were selected. You then move to a screen on which you select theEvent and Group to which these students are being registered. Next, unmark any “standard”
fees that do not apply to these students and add any Optional Fees that do apply. After you
finish registering the students, use the Register People routine to apply payments.
9. Print/Post Payments—Payments are stored in “batch” files until the Post Payments routine
is run to apply the payments to member records as permanent entries. The Print Payments
routine provides a report for verifying the accuracy of entries before posting. Access to the
Post Payments routine can be blocked (System & Users tab > Maintain Users) for
everyone except the person who is responsible for financial entries. Post Payments works
identically to posting routines in Contributions.
10. Adjust Enrollments – The Event Registration module gives you two ways to switch the
classes into which some students have been assigned. (Do not use Attendance module
routines to move students who have been added to groups in Event Registration.)
• In the Register People routine you can select a student on the Summary tab and
click the Change Person button. This opens a window in which to select the group
into which you want to move that student. You can repeat this for each additional
student who needs to be moved.
• In Quick Update (Event Registration Utilities), select the Attendance Move
option. On the next screen you select the Event and the Group from which students
are to be moved. You also select the Group in the same Event into which students
are to be moved. The next screen lists all the students registered for the selected
group. Highlight any student who is not to be moved and click the Delete button.
Repeat for each additional student who should not be moved. When the grid shows
only those who are being moved, select Next and then Finish. Repeat for each
11. Print Reports —Use the Event Registration Reports panel to print lists of registered
participants, those who have a balance due, and statements and/or receipts to give to
participants as a record of their payments.
12. Print Rosters—the Rosters routine in Event Registration is identical to the one in
Attendance. It is placed in both modules as a convenience. To print “Daily” rosters with space
for each day of the week of VBS, first set the program date into the prior week.
13. Record Attendance—Each day of VBS, you may use the Update Attendance routine to
record attendance that has been marked on the printed rosters. Or, use the Check-In routine
to check in students as they arrive, printing name tags as they are marked if a Dymo
Label Writer printer is connected and the label definitions were created in Manage Groups.
Subsequent Years —
Follow these steps to prepare your VBS class structure for the next school year, while retaining all your
prior year records. These instructions apply only to Versions 8 and 9.
Remove Students from Attendance Groups
1. At any time after VBS and within the same calendar year, go to Attendance > Utilities >
Quick Update. Choose Attendance Enroll/Remove/Move and select Next. On the Search
Criteria screen, select the Attendance tab.
1 Accept the Group option for Attendance Type.
2 Select Operator —Accept the default “In” item.
3 Enter a Value—Unmark all groups in the list except for VBS.
If you enrolled your teachers in the classes they teach and you expect most of them to returnnext year and want to retain them in the same groups, select the Add button and then –
1 Select the Position or Teacher option for Attendance Type (depending on how teachers
are identified in group records).
2 Select Operator —Mark the Not check box and accept the default “Is” item.
3 Enter a Value—Accept the default “True” item.
2. Select Done to return to the Search Criteria tab, then select Next to see the list of people who
are to be cleared from the selected groups as of the date you will define. If you see any names
that should not be cleared, highlight them and click the Delete button. Select Next.
3. On the Attendance Option screen, select the Remove option and accept or edit the Date
Removed. We recommend setting this date to December 31 of the current year. This will allow
you to continue running reports, lists, labels, etc. for VBS participants to contact them about
other activities during the remainder of the year.
4. Mark the check box in front of the VBS groups. Select Next and then Finish to copy the Date
Removed into the selected persons’ records so that they no longer appear in those groups
after the date indicated. (When the Create New Attendance Year utility is run at the end of
the calendar year to create new enrollment records for everyone enrolled in any groups, no
records will be created in the new year for your VBS groups (other than teachers if you chose
to retain them. The groups will be ready for you to begin with new registrations at the proper
time (next page).
Define New VBS Event
1. In the new calendar year, go to Event Registration and select Manage Events.
2. Click the Define New Event button at the bottom of the screen to create a new VBS Event
adding the year to the Description to avoid confusion with the prior year’s event. Also set the
Start and End Date to match your VBS schedule. Set the Enrollment Maximum, if any, along
with any other Event Information. Select the Save icon on the command bar.
3. Select the Link to Attendance button to open the Link Attendance Group to Event
Registration window. Select the Level1 VBS Attendance Group. Click OK. When back in the
Define Events window, select the Save icon on the command bar to see the Event
name in the grid change from a Page to a Folder with the VBS Attendance Groups listed when
you click the Plus sign in front of the Event name.
4. Define the fees for this event, making sure to press Tab for each item until it appears in the
lower grid. (See Item #4 on Page 2.)
5. Print your event information in order to verify that it is complete. Select the Print icon
on the toolbar and then set the date range to match your new event. (Check that the Waiting
List and Optional check boxes are correctly marked or unmarked.)
You are now ready to begin registering students for the next VBS, following the same steps as
used in the prior year. Click this link to jump back to Page 2 for those instructions.