Logos provides a free Self-Supporting Tool called User Reports which allows you to create your own reports. This article gives you a pictorial tutorial on how to use this tool.
1 A new command bar was added with New Report, Edit, Copy, Delete, Preview and Print icons, plus a Video Tutorial icon that walks through Search Criteria procedures.
The New/Edit wizard’s command bar has Save, Preview and Video Tutorial icons.
2 The Steps in both wizards were reorganized and renamed and expanded:
Report Wizard New/Edit Wizards
Report Wizard Print an Existing Report
New/Edit Wizard Create or Edit a Report
3 The routine now uses the standard Logos II Search Criteria and Sort Criteria instead of having different filter and sort procedures to learn.
• When a query is defined in the New/Edit wizard's Step 4: Filter Properties screen, it is saved and will appear in the Report Wizard’s Step 2 - Filter Properties screen where it can be used, modified or deleted for the current print run. Any such changes do not impact the filter defined for that report.
• Any fields selected for sorting in the New/Edit wizard's Step 5 - Sort Options screen will appear on the Report Wizard's Step 3 - Sort Options screen above the lists of Sort fields (and after any fields defined for Grouping in Data Fields > Format & Style. The report will sort first by any Initial Sort order fields indicated, then by any other field(s) selected at this point.
4 The routine now uses the standard Output Destination screen, giving all the same output options as the standard reports.
5 When selecting Data Fields (Step 3 in the New/Edit wizard) to print on the report, the routine now uses the field titles defined in Preferences > Field Text and lists items in alphabetical order.
6 A new Premier add-on option enables the Data Fields screen to allow selecting fields or functions from tables other than Member or Family (e.g., Contributions, Comments, Skills/Talents/Ministries, etc.).
The Tables from which to choose fields and/or functions are:
• Family Info – specific data fields in family records, as in prior versions. The City, State, Zip (Family) item is a function that combines data from more than one field and remains here as in prior versions.
• Member Info – specific data fields in individual records, also as in prior versions. The Formatted Name function prints First and Last Name as in prior versions. The Name function prints Last comma First Name. Either one can be selected (or use individual Name fields in this list) in reports using data from other tables in order to identify the selected individuals.
Premier Option Adds These Features
Functions: Numerous functions are available with other table selections. Functions, which combine data from more than one field or from fields in records of other members of the same family, can be selected to print on reports, but cannot be used to Group or Sort the data that prints. They also cannot display Values when highlighted in the Available fields list in Step 3 – Data Fields.
• Comments have been added to the Member Info list to allow printing data entered on the five screens on the Manage People > Comments tab. Pastoral and Counsel Comments can be previewed, printed or exported only by a user who has full access to all Comments in Manage People.
• Contributions has been added to provide four types of functions: Name options allow combining donor names for Joint accounts; History options print individual giving transactions;
Given options print summary totals of giving; Pledge options print information on donor pledges. These functions can be previewed, printed or exported only by a user who has access to the Contributions tab in
Selections from Contributions require defining Display Properties (next page) on the Contributions tab in order to define parameters for the specific data to print for the selected donors.
• Contacts (Visitation) has been added to print information on Lay and/or Pastoral contacts that have been made. Selections from this list require defining Display Properties (next page) on the Contacts (Visitation) tab in order to define parameters for the specific data to print for the selected individuals. Also select at least a Name item in Member Info or Member Functions.
• Service (Committees) has been added to print information on items entered on the Service (Committees) tab in Manage People. Selections from this list require defining Display Properties (next
August 29, 2012 Logos Management Software, Inc. page) on the Service (Committees) tab in order to define parameters for the specific data to print for the selected individuals. Also select at least a Name item in Member Info or Member Functions.
• Skills (Talents/Ministry) has been added to print information on items entered on the Skills (Talents/Ministry) tab in Manage People. Selections from this list require defining Display Properties (next page) on the Skills (Talents/Ministry) tab in order to define parameters for the specific data to print for the selected individuals. Also select at least a Name item in Member Info or Member Functions.
• Member Functions has been added to enable selecting from the Primary, Secondary or Active Address fields, plus Name options.
• Family Functions has been added to allow combining data from more than one field or from the records of other members of selected individuals’ families. These Family Functions allow the creation of "family" reports, which could not be done in prior versions. (When using these for a “family” report, be sure that your Search Criteria selects only person per selected household. Otherwise, the report will print the same data again for each selected family member.)
• Attendance Class has been added to provide fields that print the names of Attendance groups.
• Attendance History has been added to provide information on attendance activity of selected individuals.
Selections from either Attendance list require defining Display Properties (next page) on the Attendance tab in order to define parameters for the specific data to print for the selected individuals and the order in which the names print. When printing a list that includes multiple groups and that prints in Group order, include at least the Leve1 (Attendance Class) field, and click the Properties button to define it for Grouping. This will print the group text in a header above the detail data on the selected individuals.
7 The Advanced Layout feature's use of the Report Designer now allows adding fields or functions. However, we recommend that adding such items should be done from the Data Fields screen, a much simpler, more user-friendly way to work. The Report Designer is made available to allow modifying layout features.
If a field object’s expression is modified incorrectly, a new error alert displays at runtime, identifying the specific problem. Select the Ignore button to proceed to print, preview or export the report. The problem data will be ignored. You can then return to the Data Fields screen and select the Edit button in order to correct the problem.
8 New Display Properties screens were added to both wizards to allow Premier users to define the specific data records to print from the five tables shown. Make selections on these tabs appropriate to the Data Fields selections made in Step #3.
NOTE: Three different selection procedures in the New/Edit wizard define three different features of your report content:
>> Step 3 - Data Fields lets you select the fields and functions that will print from the data table(s) you select:
Member and Family Info fields print whatever is in those fields for the selected individuals. Each field in these lists either has one piece of information or is empty, so this selection is very simple.
Other tables (Contributions, etc.) will print all data for these fields from the selected individuals, each of whom may have multiple records in a given table. For example, every donor will have a record in Contributions for every transaction; thus someone who gives every week or every month to more than one fund could have hundreds of Contributions records in just a few months. To define the specific records that will print for the selected fields/functions, use Display Properties.
>> Step 4 – Filter Properties lets you use Search Criteria to define whose data will print, using data entered into Logos II.
>> Step 6 – Display Properties is for use when Data Fields selections were made from Service (Committees), Contacts (Visitation), Skills (Talents/Ministry), Contributions or Attendance. Select the tab corresponding to the table from which data will be printing and define parameters for that data.
When the report has been saved, the Report wizard gives the option to modify the Filter Properties,
Display Properties selections and/or other settings, for this report run. If you wish to change the Data Fields selections, Copy the original report and then select the Edit icon to modify the new report. Or simply Edit the report with new Data Field settings