CMS Clients can now use their bar code scanners to enter contributions in the CMS Contributions system.
Prior to using the bar code scanner, you will need to perform a one-time setup to ensure the scanner is functioning properly.
- Ensure that the Contribution Envelopes have the contributor's Envelope Number printed as a bar code on the weekly contribution envelope.
- Ensure that the bar code scanner is compatible with the hardware and software on your PC.
- Install the bar code scanner according to the manufacturer's instruction manual.
- Set up the bar code scanner with the factory defaults and the following special considerations from the Bar code Scanner's Programming Manual:
- Interface Selection set to Keyboard
- Language for Keyboard Interface set to "U.S."
- Code 39 group must be set to "Enable"
- Code 39 group must be set to "Full ASCII"
Once setup with the above parameters, most bar code scanners will function as described in the following Enter Contributions with Scanner instructions. If not, then additional programming of the bar code scanner may be necessary.
There are additional bar code programmable features, like beep on/off, scan mode = continuous/trigger off that can be set at the user's preference without affecting the process to enter contributions.
NOTE: If you do not see the bar code currently printed on the contributor's envelope, contact American Church, Our Sunday Visitor, etc. and request they print the envelope number bar code on each envelope. You will need this bar code before you can begin to scan contributions in CMS.
Entering Contributions with a Bar code Scanner
From the CMS Contribution System, click Reports | Bar code | Fund Bar codes | Print.
This report will give you a listing of your current funds and their corresponding CODE39 bar codes.
From the CMS Contribution System, click Reports | Bar code | Amount.
You can Add and Delete the amounts that will have a corresponding bar code when the report is printed. Click Print.
NOTE: You may want to include your most common fund numbers as "Amounts" to eliminate the need to print the Bar code Fund report.
From the CMS Contribution System, click Enter Contributions.
Select an existing or create a new batch of contributions, entering the batch date, description and counted total, along with the initials of the entry person.
Click the Set Defaults button on the right side of the New Batch display.
It is recommended that you set the Entry Table Display to "Display Fund and Amount Only".
However, if you prefer any of the other display views, ensure that the Enter Check Number and Enter Contribution Type ARE NOT CHECKED.
Ensure that the funds that will be referenced in this batch are listed on under Display Default Funds.
Click OK. Click OK.
NOTE: If you do not see the bar code printed on the contributor's envelope, contact American Church, Our Sunday Visitor, etc. and request they print the envelope number bar code on each envelope. You will need this bar code before you can begin to scan contributions in CMS.
- From the Contribution Entry screen, scan the Envelope Number bar code located on the weekly contributor's envelope.
- This should take you directly to the Amount field for the first fund number. If this is the correct fund number, scan the appropriate dollar amount.
- If this contributor gave to only one fund, scan the Next Contributor bar code.
- If this contributor gave to more than one fund, scan the OK/ENTER bar code to bring you to the appropriate fund number, then scan the correct dollar amount.
- If you do not see the correct fund listed automatically on screen, scan the OK/ENTER bar code until you drop into the Fund Number field. Scan the correct fund number, then scan the correct amount.
- Once you are done entering all of the contributions for this contributor, scan the Next Contributor bar code.
Repeat these steps with all of the contributors for this batch of contributions. Once all envelopes have been entered, click the Edit List button on the right side of the Contribution Entry screen and click print.
Verify the contributions have been entered/scanned correctly.
Once the contributions have been verified, click Process | Post Contributions and post this batch of contributions.
Once posted, you're done!