How to Edit Contributions in a Closed Batch / How to Post a Correction Batch
If you've found an error in a closed contribution batch, since you cannot re-open a closed batch to make changes including deletions, you must reverse the original batch by creating a "Correction Batch."
- Create a new Detailed Posting batch
- Use the same name as the original with -Correction at the end of the name
- The batch should be a Detailed batch.
- If this correction batch is due to a duplicate posting, the cash total on the Batch Header Page (when you first go into Create new batch) may be a negative dollar amount (assuming this is the only entry). If there are other entries, it would be the sum of the entries subtracting out the duplicate entry.
- Use Detailed posting to post contributions identical to the original incorrect posting (same date, fund, family, and amount) except make the amount negative so it will reverse the original posting.
- If the reason for the correcting batch was a duplicate entry, you are done with this batch.
- If the original contribution needs to be re-posted to a different date, fund, amount, or family, post it again in a positive amount (this will just be a normal posting with all information entered as it was desired to be). This may be done in the same batch.
- In this correction batch you will have pairs of contributions: One negative $$ amount reversing the original incorrect information; and one with positive $$ amount with correct information.
The negative and positive contributions will appear in the Contribution List, but reports and the year-end statement will not show any contributions for that date.
For video instructions showing the process, see
For more details on correction batches, see