How to edit a duplicate marriage record for deletion or for inactivation
These instructions are for removing erroneous marriage records. These instructions apply for duplicate marriage records as well as records that were made between the wrong people (usually a conversion/transition issue).
Sacrament records can be deleted unless prevented by the diocese. These steps show you how to either delete the record or, if restricted from doing that, make the record inactive (it won't show up on reports or member's sacraments).
- While in the Family Directory, select the Sacraments tab and chose the "Add/Edit Sacrament" option.
- Then search the marriage sacraments for the name you are looking for. **Correct Marriage records will display twice, once under each spouse**
- Click the edit button (paper with pencil) for the record you wish to get rid of (in the case of duplicates it would be the record with the least information)
- Review the record and ensure it is the one you want to delete or inactivate.
- Click the Edit button at the bottom of the pop-up.
- If you have the permissions to delete the record, you will see the delete button. Use it. If not, move on to step 4 to inactivate the record.
- There are three edits you need to make in order to inactivate the record:
- Remove the "completed" checkmark
- Click the red 'x' next to the spouse's name (this removes the link from the other member.)
- Add a "date ended" to the marriage (pick an arbitrary date)
- Save your changes. The record is now inactive and will display with a gray dot next to it in sacraments.