How to create contribution statements
On a quarterly or yearly basis, it is common practice for churches to provide donors with contribution statements that record their charitable contributions. This article shows you how create a contribution statement that donors can use to substantiate their contributions, especially during tax time. These statements show contribution amounts and detail the donor's giving for the period you specify (for example, end of year 2013) when setting up the contribution statement. A letter template is also provided that enables you to customize a personal message to accompany the statement you send to your donors.
Setting Up Contribution Statements
- Click the Reports tab in the Offering Module to display the Offering Reports page.
- If you manage several organizations, select the organization whose records you want to work with from the Organization list.
- From the Category menu, select Contributions. Then, select Statements from the Report menu. The setup for the Contribution Statements report is displayed.
- The statement setup is presented in an easy-to-use, wizard-style interface that steps you through the process of creating your contribution statements.
- To advance through the setup, you can either click the tabs at the top right or click Next in the lower right.
- At any time, you can click a tab or Previous to return to a tab to view or make changes to previously entered information.
- The Statement Summary section in the lower left presents summary of the selections you make on each of the tabs.
- Starting on the Fund tab, do one of the following:
- Select one or more funds individually by selecting the checkbox next to each fund you want to include in the report.
- Select all funds by selecting the All Funds checkbox in the header (the checkbox to the left of the Description heading).
- Be aware that selecting the All Funds checkbox includes only those funds on the page you are viewing. If you want to include all of your organization’s funds in the report, you must first select the checkbox (you can select it on any setup page). Then, select the Select all records link that appears above the list of funds.
- Click Options:
For descriptions of the setup options on the Options tab, go to Setup Options for the Contribution Statements Report.
a. In the Options group, select the report format, delivery format, and sort options (if applicable).
b. In the Filters group:
- If you wish to filter the group, you must select "Show filtered givers" under Givers in order to be able to edit the minimum and maximum fields.
- Select the date range for the contributions you want to include in the report. Specify the minimum and maximum amounts in the contribution range.
- If you want to include zero-dollar contributions, select the Include $0 Contributions checkbox.
c. In the Membership group, select the desired filters to search your database for givers that meet specific membership criteria.
d. In the Givers group, select which givers to include in the statements.
e. In the Contribution Source group, specify whether to include family or member contributions in the statements.
f. In the Electronic Statements section, this checkbox control is selected by default: Include Givers who have opened electronic statements.
- If you created electronic versions of your contribution statements and want to generate paper statements for givers have opened their electronic versions (in My Own Church), leave the checkbox selected.
- If you do not want to include givers who have opened their statements, de-select this checkbox.
- Click Template to advance to the Template tab.
a. In the Statement Dates section, select the statement date. This is the date when the statement will be generated or the date when the statement will be received in the mail.
b. In the Body of Statement section, select one of the following options from the drop down list:
- None: if you do not want to include a message to accompany the statement.
- New Template: if you want to create a customized message to accompany the statement. In the Statement area below, type the text of the message. Apply whatever paragraph and character styles you want to format the text. Be sure to type a name for the letter, and then click
- to save the template. The statement is identified by the name you gave it and is now available for future use.
- Caution: To avoid losing your message text, save frequently. You must save the template before moving to the next tab or the text of your message will be lost.
- An existing template: if you previously created and saved a customized message, the name of the template appears in the list.
c. In the Signature section, select one of the following options from the drop down list:
- None: select this option if you do have a signature image to upload.
- New Signature: select this option if you have a signature image file on your computer that you want to upload. The software will insert the image at the end of the message accompanying your contribution statements. Click Browse to search for the file, select it, and then click Open to upload it.
- You can upload up to five signature image files. The required dimensions for the file are 264 pixels by 48 pixels.
- The signature image needs to be in one of these formats: .png, .bmp, .jpg .gif.
- Be sure that the image meets these requirements. The image will appear distorted if the dimensions are incorrect.
- If you want to save the file for future use, click . The software adds the file to the Signature dropdown list.
- An existing signature: if you previously saved a signature image, it appears in the list. Select it to include with the statement.
- Click Givers to advance to the Givers tab.
This tab shows you list of givers matching your fund selections and all of the filter criteria you previously selected.
On the Givers tab, do the following:
a. Individually select the names of the givers receiving the contribution statement.
- Select the checkbox next to the Family Name heading to select the givers on the displayed page only.
- Select the Select all records link to select all givers.
b. To preview the statements, click View Statements.
- The statements are displayed in the Report Viewer.
- If your statements do not display, check your browser settings to make sure that pop-up settings are enabled. Then, click View Statements again.
- Each giver's contribution statement is displayed on a separate page in the viewer. The statements appear in A to Z order by giver's last name.
- Use the toolbar buttons at the top of the viewer to page forward or backward through the report, or to save, export, or print it.
Following is an example of a Contribution Statement that contains a personal message (created on the Template tab) along with family contribution details.
If you chose not to include a personal message to accompany the statement, the software automatically removes the salutation ("Dear...") and moves the detail portion of the report up so that it immediately starts on Page 1 of the report.
Printing, Viewing, and Saving Contribution Statements
After you click View Statements, the statements you created are shown in the Report Viewer. For information on viewing, printing, and saving your contribution statements, go to About the Report Viewer.
Our Statements are made to work with #10 Envelopes so that the addresses align with the envelope windows.
Printing Mailing Labels for Contribution Statements
To print mailing labels for contribution statements:
Individually select the givers you are mailing statements to. Alternatively, click the checkbox in the header (next to the Family Name) to select all givers.
In the bottom-right, click Print Labels. The Report Viewer opens to let you preview the labels before printing the whole set. Labels are sorted and printed in A to Z order by last name.
Do one of the following:
- Click to print all of the mailing labels.
- Click to print the current page of labels only.
- Click to save the labels.