How to print two checks for the same employee on one payroll
How many checks print for an employee in a payroll depends on the number of Pay Items listed on the time card combined with the Check Sequence Number to the right of each Pay Item.
(The screenshot above shows the Check Sequence field on the far right.)
- If all Pay Items have a Check Sequence Number of 1, only one check will print.
- If one or more items have a Check Sequence Number of 1 and one or more items have a Check Sequence Number of 2, two checks will print and the Pay Items on each check will correlate with the Check Sequence Number.
- It is also possible to have a Check Sequence Number of 3 on one or more Pay Items resulting in three checks printing.
- You can't use Check Sequence Number of 2 unless there is at least 1 pay item with a Check Sequence Number of 1
- You can't use a Check Sequence Number of 3 unless there is at least 1 Pay Item with a Check Sequence Number of 1 AND another Pay Item with a Check Sequence Number of 2.
How to set it up:
Pay Item Default Check Sequence
Normally, the Pay Item for Wages would have a Default Check Sequence of 1.
Expense Reimbursement included in payroll may also have a Default Check Sequence of 1, or may have its own Check Sequence Number if a separate check for that Pay Item is preferred. For example, some employers offer a Phone Reimbursement and want a separate check to print for that Pay Item. They would set the Default Check Sequence to 2.
Time Card Check Sequence Number
When payroll is processed for an employee with this Phone Reimbursement Pay Item, the default Check Sequence of 2 will display on their time card.
Two checks will print. The first will have the Wages and the second will have the Cell Phone Reimbursement.
When processing payroll, it is not too late to change the Check Sequence option right on the Employee's time card. If this particular employee only wants one check, you may change the Check Sequence to a 1 just to the right of the Phone Reimbursement Pay Item. Once this is done, only one check will print. To change it permanently, do so in the Pay Item Setup.