How to create a family workgroup using IQ
You can design and write queries that create family workgroups. The workgroups you create are then immediately available in ParishSOFT Family Directory where you can perform workgroup-related tasks, such as creating labels and reports and sending email to families in the workgroup.
Unlike other types of queries, the workgroups you create are not dynamically updated. Therefore, if you need to change the information for a query-created workgroup, you must edit the query, run it again, and then save the newly created workgroup with a different name. You can remove the obsolete workgroup from your system using the delete feature on the Family Workgroups page.
- Build the query the way you typically do by choosing columns from the Column Picker and specifying conditions.
For instructions on building a new query, go to How to Create a New Query.
- A family workgroup query must include the Family DUID column. Add this column using either of the following methods:
- In the Column Picker panel, click to open the Families group. Scroll down and select the Family DUID column. Then, click to add the column to your query. OR
- In the Result Columns panel, select this link: [Add new column]. From the displayed menu, select Families → Family DUID.
How to use your existing query to create a workgroup
- Click Execute Query to run the query. The results are displayed in the Query Results panel.
- You can now create a workgroup using the results of your query. Complete the following:
a. At the top of the Query Results panel, click Query Results.
b. From the menu, select the Create Family Workgroup option.
The Create Family Workgroup window opens.
c. (Required) Type a name for the workgroup and select the name of the owner organization.
Only those organizations tied to your login credentials are available for selection in the Owner Organization list.
d. Click Create.
A message displays to inform you that the workgroup was successfully created.
e. Click Close to dismiss the message.
The family workgroup you created is now available in ParishSOFT Family Directory anywhere you use or see family workgroups.
Using the previous example, if we go to the Family Workgroups page, the Moved Families workgroup now appears in the Workgroups list:
With the workgroup, you can perform workgroup-related tasks, such as sending email to members in the workgroup. You can also create mailing lists and labels for the workgroup by selecting options from the Quick Reports menu.
The workgroup is also available for use as a filter in the Family Workgroups filter list.
For example, the Moved Families workgroup now appears in the Family Work Groups filter list: