How to format contribution export files to fit the "simple import" format
Depending on the Online Giving Software you use, the files that are exported may not always import correctly. When this happens, the export file must be edited.
To ensure the newly edited file imports correctly, update the data in the Export/Import file to fit the following format.
Key to abbreviations
POL# = a three to five digit number that serves as a unique identifier for your organization; for our purposes it is always the envelope number.
C = Contribution
P = Pledge (*Note: ParishSOFT Family Suite does not import Pledge Data, so if this is on your Export file already it will need to be deleted)
ENV# = Envelope Number (Required)
Date = Transaction Date/Donation Date
Fund ID = ParishSOFT Family Suite Fund DUID; (ID Required) *Cannot be names, must be ID
Follow these steps to ensure your file is correctly formatted
- Your export file will likely already have the header of the letter "H" in Column A, row 1, POL# in Column B, row 1, and the number "2" in Column C, row 1, but if it doesn't, you must add them.
A B C D E 1 H POL# 2
- All of Column A serves as a way for the file to show which imports are contributions and which are pledges. Since ParishSOFT Family Suite does not import Pledge data, delete any Row that has a P (for Pledge) in column A.
- Move Envelope # to Column B.
- Move Contribution Amount to Column C.
- Move Contribution Date to Column D.
- Move Fund ID (DUID) to Column E.
- Delete all columns from F on.
- Make sure to use the Fund ID in the Fund ID column and not the Fund Name.
- The Envelope Number is required, so make sure it is included.
- Once you've made these changes so that the information now fits these five columns, save the file as a CSV (comma delimited) file type.
- You must enable all funds for import. In the enabling, you will likely find fund names that are not "legal" in ParishSOFT Family Suite that were legal in Desktop Family Suite.
- Go to the "Import" tab in ParishSOFT Offering and choose this newly formatted File for Import.