PSA L&P - Checks: How to correct having voided the wrong check or how to un-void a check

How to correct having voided the wrong check or how to un-void a check

When you void a check, it puts a flag in the record that shows it's been voided. It also adds the date voided to the record. These are simply flags that don't really affect the ledger. They just indicate the check has been voided. In addition, the other update that takes place is a reversing journal entry is created. This is the only thing that really affects the ledger

Therefore, if you no longer want the check to be "voided," you may delete the voiding journal entry. Although the void flag and void date will remain, the check will be in the ledger as a normal check (a credit to cash and a debit the offsetting account) and will be available to reconcile as a normal check. The reversing journal entry is now gone.  However this is not the recommended method as it doesn't follow Best Accounting Practices.  Keep reading for the recommended method.

If you want 'cleaner' books, you must leave the voiding journal entry and re-create the check by creating a bill and clicking the assign check number. You would have to add a letter to the end of the check number you assign, if you would like to use the same check number that shows on the voided check. However, if the original check was dated in a closed accounting period, you will not be able to backdate this newly assigned check.

If you are part of a(n) (Arch)diocese, you can have that entity request that we "un"void the check.  If they approve this for you, they will have to send us a written request to do so.  We will remove the void and you will HAVE TO delete the voiding Journal or that journal will still reverse the check (Debit checking and Credit the offsetting account(s)).


Related Articles

Assign a Check Number to a Bill

How voided checks are recorded

How to handle voided checks in the Bank Reconciliation

How does a void affect the bill?

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.