How to bulk-edit contributions in a batch
This article shows you how to edit multiple contributions in an open batch at the same time. This functionality allows you to apply the same change to selected contributions instead of requiring you to edit each contribution separately.
You must have View + Add/Edit permissions as well as permission to access the associated funds to batch-edit contributions.
Only batches in a Committed or Open Status may be edited. See the following article to manage information in a closed batch.
Sections in this article
- Find the batch name and date
- Select the contributions you wish to update
- Make the desired changes to the selected fields
Find the batch name and date
Go to the Offering module.
Locate the Batch that you intend to delete and take note of the Batch Name and Date.
Select the contributions you wish to update
- Go to the Contribution List and select the Date RangeA of the Batch.
- Click View ContributionsB. The Contributions for this Date Range should populate.
- If you need to further filter the results, you can type in the Batch NameC in the Batch Field. Select all of the contributions you need to editD, select the edit pencil iconE:
- When you click the pencil icon, the Edit Contributions window will open:
By default, the fields that contain content shared by the selected contributions are enabled (can be changed). An example of shared content is the same fund or same batch. Any field that is dimmed (unavailable) contains content that is not shared and, therefore, cannot be changed using a batch-edit process.
When you open the modal, the default value for the selected contributions is displayed first in the list:
For contributions that share the same content, the software displays the name of the shared element (for example, the name of the batch or fund).
For contributions not associated with a batch, the software displays this option: None.
For contributions belonging to different batches, the Batch field is blank.
Even if a field contains content that is not shared, you may still be able to select it and change the value to be the same for to all selected contributions. However, if the selected contributions are associated with different pledges and belong to different givers or funds, you cannot bulk change the pledge on those records.
Make the desired changes to the selected fields
The Batch drop-down list provides a None option. Selecting the None option enables you to remove the selected contributions from the batch they are currently linked to and re-assign them to no batch.
- If desired, you can specify a zero-dollar ($0.00) amount when simultaneously editing more than one contribution for a selected giver. Note that leaving the Amount field empty is not acceptable. To specify a zero-dollar amount, you must enter a zero (0) in the Amount field.
- In the following example, the user is changing the pledge the contribution is associated with. Checking the Pledge Field activates the Pledge drop-down list so the user can select a different pledge:
(Required) In the Reason field, type a reason for the change.
- Click Save to save the changes to the selected contribution records.