How to correct contributions in a closed batch
Since you cannot re-open a closed batch to make changes (including changing posting dates, amounts, funds, or batch deletions), you must reverse the original batch by creating a "Correction Batch."
Steps for creating a correction batch: (see screenshot below)
- Create a new Detailed Posting Batch (named the same as the original with "Correction" at the end of its name). You may not use Quick Entry Posting for this kind of correction batch since it requires entering negative numbers.
- Leave the Batch total at $0.00 since your entries will wash.
- Make a record of the Batch Number. The batch number is critical when posting individual contributions using the Detailed Posting module.
- Re-enter all the incorrect contributions identical to the original incorrect postings (same date, fund, family, and amount) except.. use negative amounts. This will wash with the original posted contribution, so for the Givers, it will not appear on the Giver's statement.
- Then, in the same correction batch, add all the contributions again. This time with all the corrected information.
This correction batch should have pairs of contributions: One with a negative $$ amount with (original) incorrect information, and one with a positive $$ amount with correct information.
The software will identify that a correction has been made and once the correction batch is closed, the only contribution that will show to the giver is the corrected one.
Batch Description: Same as the original with the word Correction at the end
Fund: Use the fund that should have been used in the original batch
Cash Total: Since you will be adding transactions that balance each other out to 0.00, leave the Cash Total as $0.00
Date Opened: Today's date may be used for this. The transaction dates should match those of the original transactions.
Note: If you are not used to using the Detailed Posting option, it does not list all transactions entered the way the Quick Entry Posting option does. You must run a Batch Report to see all the entries.