How to correct a check that was written with an error
If you wrote a check and later found the check had been written for the wrong amount; the following steps are recommended:
The data in ParishSOFT Accounting must reflect what happened in real life. If the check was for the wrong amount, ParishSOFT Accounting must also show a check written for the wrong amount.
For example, A bill was received from Company XYZ for $100.00. When the check #20100 was made out, it was accidentally made out for $80.00. However, when the check was recorded in ConnectNow Accounting, it was recorded for $100.00. When the $80.00 check #20100 was cashed and came through on the Bank Statement, it did not match the $100.00 recorded in ParishSOFT Accounting for check #20100.
When a check was recorded with incorrect information:
- First, pull up the check and see if you have a delete button at the bottom of the screen. If you do, you may simply:
- delete the check
- update the bill information
- assign the same check number to the bill
- Void the check which was recorded in ParishSOFT Accounting, making a copy of the original bill.
- Edit the new bill (the copy of the original) and change the amount to the amount on the check.
- You may use the same check number as the original as long as you add a letter to the end of it.
- Reconcile the check.
If the check was not made out for the full amount of the bill received from the vendor, make sure to pay the vendor the balance with an additional check.