How to delete a fund
The most common reason it is necessary to delete a fund is a duplicate fund. However, you may follow these instructions to delete a fund, even if it is not a duplicate fund.
Determine if there are contributions associated with the fund. If there are no contributions associated with the fund, you may simply delete the fund with no additional work.
If there are contributions associated with the fund you want to delete, determine if the contributions are in closed batches or if they are in open batches. If they are in open batches, you must first prepare your files so the fund may be deleted, and then you may delete the fund.
If the contributions are in closed batches, you cannot remove the fund, but you can remove the fund permissions so nobody can see information connected to that fund or post to it again.
How to prepare your files so the fund may be deleted
If the contributions are not in closed batches, follow these steps:
Change the fund name
Start by editing the fund you want to delete and adding an identifying feature such as -D (for delete) to the end of the fund's name. Go into Offering → Funds → Edit buttonA → record. Change the nameB of the fund and select SaveC. Then, continue these instructions to update all contributions that are associated with the fund you want to delete with a new fund.
Update all contributions in all (open) batches to a new fund (part I)
- Go to to the Contribution List.
- Change the start date and end dateA to include all contributions that were ever posted to that fund.
- Change the "10 records" display above posting date to be a larger number, like 100B.
- Filter the tab on the name of the fundC.
- Select View ContributionsD.
Update all contributions in all (open) batches to a new fund (part II)
- As shown in the screen below, use the check-boxE next to the Posting Date to select all of those top 100 contributions and choose the pencil iconF to edit the contributions and change their fund to one that you are not deleting.
- You will want to un-checkG all of the other check-boxes for the fields you do not want to change, but leave the box for Fund checked.
- Use the drop-down to change the Fund.H
- Then assign a ReasonI in the field provided at the bottom and Save the changes.
How to delete a fund
Once there are no contributions associated with the fund you want to delete, you can go back to the Funds tab in Offerings and choose the Red Circle with a line through it to delete the fund.