Vendor Error: Vendor name is already in use, record could not be saved
If you are trying to add or update vendor information and a message displays that the vendor name is already in use and the record could not be saved, it is likely because there is an inactive vendor with the same name.
- Go to Vendors → Find Vendor
- Click one of the letters in the alphabet under Vendor Search, (Z for example).
- The list will be reduced to only those Vendors beginning with that letter, and scrolling down to the bottom of the list will be much quicker.
- Scroll to the bottom and mark the box to Show Inactive Vendors and click submit.
- Determine what to do:
If there is an inactive vendor, with the same name,
- If the vendor is the same as the one you are trying to add, reactivate the vendor, and update the vendor's information.
- If the vendor has the same name but is not the same vendor, change the inactive vendor's name slightly, then add the new vendor.
- If the vendor has the same name as one that is inactive and you are trying to update the information, modify the active vendor name slightly, merge the two vendors, and then make the updates including removing the slight modification to the vendor name. (For a short time the software allowed duplicate vendors. This third bullet is a result of that.)