How to filter records
Depending on the size of your organization, the number of pages of records in the Family List and Member List can reach a substantial size. Your workgroup lists can also become quite long. In certain situations, you may not be interested in working with all of your records. You may want to focus on a particular group or type of information. By applying a basic or advanced filter, you can sort the records and view only the information that you want to see.
Sections in this article
- How to filter using Rolodex filters
- How to filter using "Fuzzy" search filters
- How to filter using advanced filters
- How to filter using column header search filters
- How to clear the filters
You may also be interested in
- How to search for members using Family DUID
- How to search for members by last name and display the results in order by first name
The Rolodex filters are the alphabetic and numeric filters located in the first and second rows of the Family List and Member List pages. The illustration below shows you where they are located:
There are two types of filters:
● Alphabetic: apply to a column with alphabetic values (for example, Family Last Name and Member).
● Numeric: apply to a column with numeric values (for example, Family DUID and Envelope #).
When you select a filter, it applies to the columns in the list that is located under the filters. The type of information in the column determines the type of filter (numeric or alphabetic) that you can apply. In addition, the filter applies to the first character only in the selected column.
Using a Rolodex Filter (Example)
To apply a Rolodex filter to a list:
- Select the column containing the information you want to view (for example, Family Last Name).
A directional arrow is displayed on the column header to indicate that the column is selected and to indicate the direction of the sort (up or down).
- Select the desired filter (for example, "M").
The content reloads and information with the filter criteria you specified is displayed.
Suppose you want to look at a list of only those families whose last name begins with "M". To do this in the Family List:
Select the Family column
Select the M filter.
The contents of the list are updated. The criteria you selected and the column you are filtering on are shown in the filter description field, and the results are displayed in the list. For example:
"Fuzzy" Search Filters
This "fuzzy" search field enables you to search for a specific family (in the Family List) or member (in the Member List).
You can use one of the following methods to locate the family you are looking for:
- Type the family's last name or type a member's first name in the field, and then click to start the search.
- Click , and then select one or more search criteria (see illustration below). Click Close, and then type your search criteria in the Search field. Click to start the search.
Depending on which page you are conducting your search on, the results are shown in the list below.
To clear the search results, select the Clear Search Results link to the right of the "fuzzy" search field.
The advanced filters are not available on all pages in the Family Directory application. If the filters are available, you see this icon: .
The advanced filters let you specify multiple criteria, enabling you to filter a list based on a variety of conditions. Use the advanced filters to narrow down your list to view families or members with specific characteristics.
Click to display the Filter setup window.
Following is an example of the Filter setup window for members.
A similar setup window is displayed when you click on the Family List page.
Select and type the desired search criteria.
To save a filter criteria as your default selection, click.
(optional) Click Advanced Options to display more filter options. Then, select the additional filters you want to apply.
(optional) Select Exact Search to search the database for exact matches to the filter criteria you select.
Do one of the following:
Click Apply to process your filter selections. The list is updated based on your filter criteria.
Click Clear to clear your entries from the filter setup.
Click Cancel to exit the Filter setup window.
Using the Advanced Filter (Example)
Suppose that you want to view a list of registered female members of active status who are members of the Constitutions and Bylaws workgroup. You can set up the advanced filter to locate members who meet your exact criteria. The following example shows you how:
Click Member List to display the Member List page.
Click to display the Advanced Filter setup.
Select and type your search criteria. For example
- (optional) Click Advanced Options to display more filter options. Then, select the additional filters you want to apply.
At the bottom of the window, check the Exact Search box.
The application displays the records that meet your filter criteria. In this example, two-member records match the criteria specified:
Column Header Search Filters
Some of the grids in ParishSOFT Family Directory contain columns with a built-in filtering mechanism. The filters allow you to type a value in the column's text field to locate a record in the list that matches the value you typed.
The following illustration shows an example of the Registration Forms report, in which typing "815" in the Envelope Number column header field enables the user to locate the name of the family assigned that envelope number:
Likewise, typing a name in the Family column header field generates a list of families matching the name you enter. In this example, the user typed a last name, but you can also type a first name in the header:
Clearing the Filters
The method you use to clear a filter depends on the type of filter you are using.
- Rolodex and "Fuzzy" Search Filters
To clear the rolodex and "fuzzy" search filter settings and re-display all of the records in a list, click the Clear Filter button. As shown in the following illustration, this button is located under the row of alphabetic filters.
- Advanced Filter
To clear the advanced filter, do one of the following:
- Click to clear selections from the filter setup. This button is located at the bottom of the Advanced Filter setup window: .
- Click to clear filtered list. This button is displayed only after you click the Advanced Filter button: . It appears to the right of the Advanced Filter button on the Member List and Family List pages.
- Column Header Search Filters
To clear the column header search filters, select the contents in the header field, and then press Delete on your keyboard. After the system refreshes the page, the original list is restored.