How to create a batch for contributions or pledge payments
This article shows you how to create a batch to hold the contributions or pledge payments you want to enter into ParishSOFT Offering.
Creating batches to process contribution and pledge payments can save you a lot time because you can enter the transactions into the application in groups instead of entering them one at a time. Batch processing is also beneficial because it creates an audit trail that provides internal controls to help guard against fraud and reduce errors in data entry. For these reasons, we highly recommend that you create batches and process your transactions through them.
Keep the following in mind:
- If you are using the Detailed Posting process to enter contributions, you do not have to create a batch to hold the contributions. You can enter contributions individually. However, for more efficient processing of a large number of contributions, we recommend using batches. Using batches is a best practice as they provide internal checks and controls that help minimize the risk of fraud and loss.
- If are using the Quick-Entry posting process to enter contributions or pledges, you must create a batch to hold the transactions. However, do not mix pledges and contributions in the same batch. Keep the batches separate.
To create a batch, you must have permission to access the fund you are creating the batch for. Additionally, you must have View plus Add/Edit access rights for Contributions assigned to your login credentials.
Access rights are assigned in the Administration module. Access to the Administration module is restricted to organization administrators only.
How to create a batch
IMPORTANT: As a best practice, do not mix contributions and pledges in the same batch.
The instructions below show you how to create a batch to hold the pledges or contributions you want to enter into ParishSOFT Offering.
If you manage several organizations, select the desired organization from the Organization list.
The Batch Management page is displayed:
Click + Add Batch to display the Create new batch window.
If you do not have Add/Edit access rights assigned to your login credentials, this button is disabled.
Provide the necessary details to define the batch you are creating.
The fields you see when creating a new batch may differ from the ones shown in the illustration below. Refer to Batch Details for descriptions of the Create New Batch fields.
- Click Add Batch.
A confirmation window is displayed to let you confirm the details of the newly created batch.
- Do one of the following:
CAUTION: Pay close attention to the names on the buttons. If you want to close the window, click the Close button. If you accidentally close the batch, it is permanently locked, and you cannot reopen it.
- If the details of the batch are correct, click Close to exit the Confirmation window.
The list on the Batch Management page is updated to include the name of the newly added batch.
- If the details of the batch are not correct:
- Click Edit to open the Edit window.
- Make the necessary changes to correct the batch.
You cannot change the batch type. If you made a mistake and selected the wrong batch type, continue to the next step to save the batch. On the Batch Management page, delete the batch. Then, re-add the batch, starting at Step 3. This time, be sure to select the correct batch type.
- Click Save. Then, click Close to exit the Edit window.
The batch list on the Batch Management page is updated to include the name of the newly added batch.
- Do one of the following:
- If you selected Detailed Posting for the Batch Type, you can now set up the batch. For instructions, go to How to Set Up the Contribution Posting Filters.
- If you selected Quick Entry Posting or the Batch Type, you can now set up the batch. For instructions, go to How to Set Up a Data Entry Form for a Quick-Entry Batch.