How to find the original bill when getting a message that the invoice number has already been used
The invoice number will be tied to the vendor you are using. If you unable to enter a bill because the invoice number has already been used you can search for the transaction using Vendor Audit.
Reports → Vendor → Vendor Audit
- Choose a custom date range that goes back far enough to capture all transactions for the vendor
- Choose the vendor
- View PDF
- Look for the invoice number or use the CTRL F search box to find the transaction
- If you find the exact transaction, you are done. You've already entered it.
- If you find a transaction with different information, you have already used this invoice number for this vendor. you may want to modify the invoice number in some way.
- If you do not find any transaction which uses this invoice number, see the bulleted points below
What to do when no transaction using that invoice number is found on the Vendor Audit Report
- If the bill does not show up on the Vendor Audit, to verify the full transaction has not been entered, look at the bank account or A/P account used for bills or review the vendor transactions.
- If there are no transactions on the report with that invoice number, it may be a data issue where only the transaction number and the associated invoice number were saved. This has no effect on your ledger and you may re-enter the bill with an additional unique character which will allow you to use the invoice number. If the original invoice number was 123 use something like INV123.