How / when to delete an account
Before you delete an account, you must determine if you have permissions and if the account has historical data.
- Does the account have historical activity?
- If there is historical activity, you must archive the account instead. To find out, click the History link at the top of the Account Information window (underlined in the screenshot below).
- Is the delete button present?
- The delete button will not display if your login does not allow for it. If there is not a delete button but the account must be deleted, ensure all of the criteria listed below (see#3) are met, and then contact your church administrator or your managing organization to ask them for delete permissions or to ask them to delete the account.
- Is the account affiliated with any of the accounting processes described below? If so, you must handle those before you may delete (or archive) the account.
To delete an account, simply click the delete button at the bottom of the screen.
The following criteria must be met to delete an account
To delete an account:
- There must be no current or future budget; the budget entry must be removed first; Note: zeroing out a budget amount will change the Annual Budget totals and should be discussed with the finance committee
- There must be no memorized transactions; to remove memorized transactions, you may go into the Memorized option, mark the delete box to the left of the transaction, and click delete. For more information, click here.
- There must be no account balance; the balance must be removed through a journal entry
- The account must not exist in a vendor distribution; click the link to learn how to check this and how to remove the account from the vendor distribution.
- The account must not be used as a Payroll gross pay account or in its account distributions you must Change the gross pay account or Change the account distributions
- The account must not be used as a multi-account distribution, you must change the multi-account distributions
- The account must not be assigned in Setup → Due To/From; once Due To/From is turned on, it is not unusual for it to have an immediate balance. When it is turned off, as long as the account had only Due To/From activity, the balance will go back to 0.
- The account must not be assigned in the Process → End of Year net asset accounts