How to delete an invoice after payment or after a credit memo has been applied
When you want to delete an invoice after payment or credit has been applied, you first need to delete the payment, then the credit, and then the invoice.
- Go to the Invoice you wish to delete. Make note of the Payment number that has been applied to the invoice so that you can first search for the payment and delete it.
- Go to Payments and enter the payment number into the Transaction Number field and click Search. Click Go beside the payment record.
- In the Payment Record, locate the Delete button and click it to delete the payment from the invoice. If you cannot find a Delete button, click here to learn your options.
- Once you click Delete, you will be prompted as follows. Click OK.
- Now, you will also delete the credit memo associated with the Invoice. In this example, because we know the memo was created the same day as the invoice, we can look through the Credit Memo search for something with that date that shows it is no longer applied.
- Click Go next to the credit memo record then click the Delete button if it is present. If you cannot find a Delete button, click here to learn your options.
- Once you click Delete on the credit memo you will get a notice asking if you wish to delete the record. Click Ok.
- Now you can go back to the Invoice. It should no longer show as Paid in Invoice Search.
- Click on the Go button to go into the Invoice record. Once there, click Delete. If you cannot find a Delete button, click here to learn your options.
- Once you click the Delete button for the credit memo you will get a notice asking if you wish to delete the record. Click Ok.
Your Invoice, it's Payment and associated credit memo are now deleted.
What to do if the Delete button is not available
If you do not have the Delete button:
- Check to see what the current Accounting period in Ledgers and Payables is. It could be that you need to reopen the period to make changes.
- It may be a permissions issue. If so, have your Accounting Administrator (or Dio Contact) delete the Transaction. Only authorized logins have the delete option.
Accounts Receivable - Credit Memos
Accounts Receivable - Payment Entry
Accounts Receivable - Invoice Entry
Please sign in to leave a comment.