How to make special characters load properly in a CSV file
If you're using MS Office Excel, which doesn't allow UTF-8 character encoding (Special/Non-English characters such as a tilde) to display properly in CSV files, then you can get around this by doing the following steps:
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Click on the Data menu bar option.
- Click on the From Text icon.
- Select your saved file and choose Import.
- Under File Origin, select 65001: Unicode (UTF-8) for the file Origin.
- Select Transform Data at the bottom.
This will cause all of the UTF-8 character encoding--Special characters--to display wherever they are present. When saving the file afterward, you will need to select an Excel Workbook format and not a CSV format.